Handheld Scanner Newbie Help

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
Nerdy

Handheld Scanner Newbie Help

Post by Nerdy »

Thank you for letting me be a member of this forum. I recently moved here from out of state and I am new to the SD area. I have an eleven year old Uniden SC150 that I would like to replace. It is my understanding that I will need a “trunked” capable scanner here in SD.

I am looking for the most capability for the buck. I was looking at the Uniden BC246T, however I am not too sure how it will perform in the city. This will be my first venture into “trunked” scanning; I have only performed conventional scanning in the past.

Is the analog BC246T a good scanner for the different police and fire agencies of SD? Or should I hold off and wait until I can afford a digital one? I can’t afford to get a new scanner now only to have to replace it in a year or so if things go digital down the road.

Thanks for your help.
fotoguy

Post by fotoguy »

Dont forget to look at the "Trunking Primer" and as for scanner I would go for the Uniden 396T Law and fire lots of room for data. http://www.uniden.com/products/productd ... r=Handheld
mike

Post by mike »

if you want to monitor law enforcement here you will need a radioshack pro-96 or I heard the bearcat 250d works good although you have to pay extra for a digital chip for the radio.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

If you're monitoring in the actual City Of SD the 246 will be fine. It will also work for the other fd's in the county. You will need a digital capable scanner if you plan to monitor law enforcement in the county with the exception of CHP in San Diego 39.400 and North County 39.800. CHP in East County is digital.
Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

Thank you all for replying to my question. It appears that if I want to hear law enforcement, which is what I listen to most, I will have to wait to get a digital capable scanner. I will have to wait for the prices to drop though. Once I can find one for around $200 I will get back in.
Steele

Post by Steele »

Hey Nerdy, Do both, get an analog scanner for the 200 bucks or way less,
as there are many Trunk tracking radios to choose from.
Some as cheap as 100 dollars, or even cheaper.
And with over 700 analog RCS talk group’s like Law Air,
It’s where multiple agencies Look for the sheriff’s helicopter or ABLE.
And ABLE (San Diego Police copter) can be found regularly vectoring in the ground troops
and catching the bad guys On the San Diego City System.And with 8 very busy Police Dispatch TG’s
It can get very exciting. It’s great having this much fun for such a low price!!!!
And then when the Digital radios come down in price.
(and they are dropping in price.) Get one of those bad boys and tune in the digi cops!!!!!
And I always say that there is nothing wrong with having more than one radio.
Nerdy I'm not saying to just drop the money like it's nothing, get the cheaper one for now.
listen to it, don't miss out on all this fun.

Steele 8)
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

i picked up a used 250d with apco card for a little over 200 bucks. look around, you can find digi for a decent price.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Do some searching on EBay
Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

Again, thank you all for your suggestions.

Steele, I like your encouragement and have been looking at a few Uniden scanners mostly for their features. I like the idea of the dynamic memory Uniden is using, plus Uniden will handle any rebanding that might occur.

The one that I am likely to buy is the BR330T. It has all the features of the BCD396T, without the digital ability. I found the 330T for $209.00 new. I was thinking of the 396T since I found one with 2 months use for $325.00, but I can't do even $325.00 right now.

I think I will be happy with analog trunking capability for years to come and the same with the 330T.
Steele

Post by Steele »

Good for you Nerdy, the BR330T is as cool of a scanner as any I’ve seen.
So when you get it, if you have any trouble programming it,
I would suggest Taking it to a guy named Bud,
Almost any body on the scandiego forums can hook you upwith him.
Also you can go on http://www.scandiego.com/ and look over some
really great information on scanning in San Diego and scanning in general.
So good luck and great scanning.

Steele 8)