New member here

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
dzrtram

New member here

Post by dzrtram »

I know you guys probably get tired of this question, but here it is anyway.
I am very new to everything ham. I have purchased a couple of Yaesus--one HT and one mobile. I have been asked to help set up an Ecom center complete with a scanner. The problem is, which scanner? I am mostly interested in monitoring the CDF, CHP, Sheriff, and U.S. Forest Service. I'm told I can use an older scanner for these. However, I also have need to monitor the El Cajon fire and police departments, and possibly the depts in the surrounding cities.

What scanners do you all recommend? I doubt that I can afford the newer scanners right now. I would like to start with the least expensive scanner that I can use for the CDF and the others I mentioned in the first group.

I would appreciate any and all help, recommendations, warnings, advice, etc. that you all could give me.

Thank you in advance.

Ross
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

For Heartland Fire which includes El Cajon you will have to pick up an analog scanner that does trunking. I myself have a Pro-95 and 97 which are Radio Shack models. For Sheriff, El Cajon PD, CHP El Cajon and pretty much all other LE departments in the County with the exception of San Diego PD, CHP San Diego and CHP North County you will need a digital scanner. I use a Pro-96 which again is a Radio Shack model. For CDF and USFS any scanner will work. You can also check out the Uniden models which I'm sure some of the other members can tell you about I'm just not familiar enough with them. Depending on your budget a Pro-97 runs $200 and a 96 the last time I checked was on sale for $400 normally goes for $500. Ebay is also a good place to look. Good Luck.

Scanner

Post by 31 »

Save your money your looking at spending $525.00 +/- for a real digital scanner something like a BC-996.
dzrtram

Thanks

Post by dzrtram »

I appreciate the help.