Steve Foley

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
PStuart

Steve Foley

Post by PStuart »

Im a bit surprised that this hasnt shown up sooner. Some news stations report that the off duty coronado officer who is still yet to be named, was radioing in his locations and status and requesting officers response. Was anybody listening or catch any of this incident as it occurred?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

The Coronado officer is TOAST. The department is up a creek without a paddle.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support law enforcement, and think Foley is a dirtbag (been arrested numerous times, I can do anything I want because I'm a sports "hero", legend in his own mind), but I bet in the end, the officer will possibly be charged. The attempted T-stop was not in compliance with VC for California. The VC requires red lights, sirens, distinctively marked vehicles and a uniformed officer.

“People don't have a duty to yield if a car is not distinctively marked,” said Deputy Attorney General Zee Rodriguez, who works in Los Angeles. “Even if the person says they're a police officer, how would you know? It could be anybody.”

Foley is going to claim he thought he was being carjacked by some nut with a gun and was trying to protect himself. This is a reasonable action for how the situation would appear to a normal person.

Truthfully, I don't think I would have cooperated with the officer in the same situation as it has been described. Anyway, rather than stop, I think the best action for Foley would have been to call police on a cell and continue driving. The officer should have held back until his marked cover units arrived.

Very bad judgement on the officers part. I bet he'll be charged, fired and sued. At the minimum, bad judgement on the cops part.
codethree

Post by codethree »

Have to admit you're right...much as Foley is a scumbag. And then this cop is firing "warning shots" into the shrubbery. Doesn't sound like SOP for most departments. I wonder what he was thinking?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

codethree wrote:Have to admit you're right...much as Foley is a scumbag. And then this cop is firing "warning shots" into the shrubbery. Doesn't sound like SOP for most departments. I wonder what he was thinking?
You're absloutley right.. I know most departments have policies aganist that. And it was a pretty unsafe thing to do, shooting into the bushes, who knows where the round could end up
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

The speculation I've heard in regards to the warning shots is that the P&P or SOP's usually will say "Generally, warning shots are not allowed". Generally being the keyword. Hard to be a monday morning quarterback without all the facts yet. Some audio from the radio transmissions would be nice though :)
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

PStuart wrote:The speculation I've heard in regards to the warning shots is that the P&P or SOP's usually will say "Generally, warning shots are not allowed". Generally being the keyword. Hard to be a monday morning quarterback without all the facts yet. Some audio from the radio transmissions would be nice though :)
True that.

No pun intended on the QB remark ? :)

I don't know of anyone with the audio, but if he was on his main dispatch, you could go down and get a copy under the "Public Records Act" if you desire.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Couldn't agree more, Sean.
dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

Foley once again has gone out of his way to show what knuckleheads pro athletes can be.

Unfortunatley, I believe our young CoPD officer may have put himself in the same category. Warning shots in such close proximity to occupied houses? Somehow, I don't think that falls under reasonable need.

Being only 23 years old, I hope this young officer has learned some important lessons from this incident. Sadly for him, I think he will be looking for another career.

Doug K
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

back to patrolling the mean walkways of palomar college...
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

His passenger (girlfriend) appeared in court today. They're obviously going to play the "didn't know he was a cop" card and most likely get away with it. Apparently, the girlfriend also has a felony warrant out of northern CA for 10851... sounds like a pair of winners.
Myself being close to 23 and getting into a law enforcement career, its horror stories like these that make me nervous!