Highway Patrol

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
Jim K0JAD

Highway Patrol

Post by Jim K0JAD »

Any word from anywhere about if and when the CHP plans to move to RCS North? I know they have talkgroups assigned that are not in service at this time. North CHP is still banging away on 39.80Mhz.
fotoguy

CHP

Post by fotoguy »

Down in the CHP section 318 noted that the CHP may go back to VHF, As I understand this is a trial program ONLY to evaluate the system and is only in East county (gold) country. I have heard pros and cons from the CHP that use the RCS.
Batman2150

CHP

Post by Batman2150 »

Rumor has it CHP El Cajon is going back to 39.600 in a few months. Only a rumor though.

Batman
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I've been told that El Cajon will go back on the GOLD (39.6) in June and leave RCS as their radio system.
brandon
Site Admin

Post by brandon »

w6pix wrote:I've been told that El Cajon will go back on the GOLD (39.6) in June and leave RCS as their radio system.
That's a bummer! I really enjoyed monitoring CHP using the rubber duckie antenna. And having the tac's available on a repeater made it nice too.

I can pick up all of the other CHP's from my location in El Cajon (39.400, 39.800, 39.680, 39.880...) but 39.600 always gave me static problems for some reason. :evil:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Even with all of the RCS tacs available to them, I've heard CHP doing car-to-car on 39.6000 outside Ramona. A few weeks back, the RCS and low-band frequency were patched together for a CHP helicopter doing off-road enforcement with local units outside Jamul. Even if they don't go back, 39.6000 is still a good one to have in the scanner.

The upside to having RCS in the CHP cars is the ability to talk directly to the rural SO units since they cover for each other. The State Parks people also pop up on at least Rural Tac 80 (I think I may have heard them on the CHP tacs as well) so there's some good interoperability going on between those agencies out in boondocks (wasn't that the whole point of the RCS?) :)

- Mike

Post by 318 »

As Sean (W6PIX) posted, the CHP will be going back to Low-Band soon...

~318