Helicopter?

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
ChrisK

Helicopter?

Post by ChrisK »

There's a fire fighting helicopter parked in the east transient parking area at Gillespie Field. It's N205HQ. The owner is listed as a bank, but there is a logo on it for HeliQwest. (In fact, there are some photos of it on www.heliqwest.com.)

It doesn't seem to have a helicopter number on it (like 10 or 12 or 538).

Does anybody know why it's there? Is it under contract to somebody for fire fighting?

There is a fuel tender with the same logo parked nearby.
seargentslaughter

Re: Helicopter?

Post by seargentslaughter »

i wouldnt know this for sure but im just taking an educated guess.
maybe since the fuel tender has the same logo on it as the helicopter maybe its owned by the airport? and the airport more than likely uses it for fire fighting if its there all the time just sitting there but in the event of a fire you should check and see if its gone because maybe it went to the fire to fight the fire?
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

I've seen a fuel tender parked along the fence on Joe Crosson (road that goes north/south to admin bldg) painted almost in the same scheme as the LAFD copters labeled "Blackhawk Helicopters" and also "wildland firefighting emergency vehicle". My guess is it belongs to that company.
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

I seem to remember hearing that the Heliqwest helicopter would be available as a call when needed firefighting helicopter. If I remember right both the pilot and the fuel truck driver lived in the East County. I believe the company thought they might get a little bit of work during the winter months. I believe that the helicopter is now on a contract were the Bureau of land Management in Arizona. I know they are not related at all to Black Hawk helicopters.