fire terminology

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
SDnative

fire terminology

Post by SDnative »

When a fire dispatcher tells a field unit that their 10 minute or 30 minute timer has elapsed, what are they talking about?
mike

Post by mike »

I have been wondering the same question it might mean how far they are into the incident and when they arrived on scene just a guess.
Brian

Post by Brian »

From the ICS-910

The Dispatch Center should continue to advise the Incident Commander
of the elapsed time at each additional fifteen-minute interval, or until
canceled by the IC, or until the incident is declared under control, i.e., knockdown

Another link where the elapsed time is talked about on page 11.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VPxWmvKmzZkC&pg=PT29

Main page for the book.
Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics By John Norman
http://books.google.com/books?id=VPxWmvKmzZkC
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

They're watching out for firefighter fatigue.

If an incident runs too long, they will switch out personnel.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Heartland has been using the timer for a little while now. You'll hear them tell the IC their timer has elapsed. They are using 10 min intervals.
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

Thanks all. I have only been hearing it recently, and thought it might have to do with incident times, but did not think about the fatigue factor.

The more that is done to keep our first responders safe the better!!!
N6766J

Re: fire terminology

Post by N6766J »

I don't know how Heartland is doing it, but at SDFD we give them (the IC) this notice at working fires, purportedly to advise them that the fire has had enough time, since the initial call for service, to have impinged enough on a structure to make the building unstable. It is up to the IC to take appropriate measures once he receives this notification. We only make the 20 minute call!
SDnative wrote:When a fire dispatcher tells a field unit that their 10 minute or 30 minute timer has elapsed, what are they talking about?