I need an antenna

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
rayofash

I need an antenna

Post by rayofash »

Sorry if this isn't the right board. I was just lent a Yaesu VR-5000 Communications Receiver, but I need an antenna. This is my first radio and I have no idea how to use it. The receiving modes are LSB, USB, CW, AM-N, AM, WAM, FM-N, WFM. I don't know what that means entirely, but I'm guessing a regular AM/FM antenna won't cut it. It has 2 antenna ports in the back, a PL-259 Coaxial Connector (50 ohm) and "a pair of spring terminal contacts for attaching the bare wire leads of a higher impedance wire antenna for LF and MW work."

The radio:

http://www.memphisamateur.com/browsepro ... -5000.html
http://www.strongsignals.net/access/con ... -5000.html
http://www.strongsignals.net/access/rev ... cv&num=022

Also, what's the difference between SO-239 and PL-259? Would these work? I'm also looking for a shortwave antenna.
Last edited by rayofash on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

The scanner antenna will work, for VHF scanning purposes. Not very good for shortwave.

PL-259 means 'Plug, type 259', while SO-259 means 'Socket, type 259', in other words, the male and female halves. The SO is on the back of the radio, and on the antenna. An RG-8 type cable from Radio shack comes with PL-259's on each end, to connect the two.

Shortwave, while there are any number of antennas you can build, for this temporary time, just use a long (as in, 50 feet or more) piece of wire, connected to the two terminals for 'wire', should be one red and one black, or marked antenna and ground. Connect the long wire to the antenna connector, and run it outdoors as high as possible, along the roof eaves or something. Avoid powerlines! The 'ground' connector is normally connected to earth ground by another wire. It's not critical for quick use, but helps. I ground using the ground wire of the power sockets, but you may not want to play with that, if you don't understand how the power socket works! Driving a ground rod into the earth nearby and connecting to that is the 'official' way to ground things.

The radio isn't much good for monitoring the local cops, as it can't handle trunking systems, but there's still a lot of stuff you could listen to. Aircraft, trains, boats, etc.

Boats, trains, and other general scanner stuff is NFM (WFM is FM Broadcast band or TV audio), while aircraft are AM.

Shortwave broadcasters are AM, while 'utility' stations like Coast Guard, or Military, etc, use either USB or LSB.
rayofash

Post by rayofash »

What type of wire? I could probably pick some up when I get my antenna.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Speaker wire
rayofash

Post by rayofash »

N6ATF wrote:Speaker wire
Great, like this?
rayofash

Post by rayofash »

I got the antenna and the wire. The wire is coiled up right above my radio and it's picking up stuff better than the antenna :? .
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Good!
rayofash

Post by rayofash »

How can I reduce noise on the wire antenna? Right now I have it running from my radio up outside onto the UHF antenna where it's still all coiled up. The UHF antenna is sitting on a pole about 20-25 feet up. The wire antenna isn't grounded (I don't know how to go about doing that) and it isn't shielded in anyway. The pole is located outside right next to the living room where we have several computers and a TV, and the wire runs in through the window and passes directly behind my computer, monitor, and speakers into my radio. Yes, I know this is bad.

The noise only happens on the SW/HF frequencies.