SDFD Dispatchers

Topics about scanning the San Diego Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other SDFD related material.
codethree

SDFD Dispatchers

Post by codethree »

Does anyone know how long the shifts are for SD Fire dispatchers. It may just be me, but I seem to hear the same voices for 12-14 hours straight. Have they switched to longer shifts or perhaps forced into overtime?
mike

Post by mike »

They might take breaks and then return to their dispatching console.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

One of the members here is a dispatcher for SDFD. I'm sure he'll pop up shortly and give us all the details.
N6766J

SDFD Dispatcher shifts

Post by N6766J »

There are 3 different shifts used at SDFD Fire Communications. They are 8, 10, and 12 hours generally beginning at 0600, 0800, 1400, 1800 & 2200.

Due to staffing (i.e. sick calls, vacations, etc.) Some dispatchers work OT and can work up to 16 hours straight. It is rare that a single dispatcher will work more than 6-8 hours at a single radio position. Although I have worked 12 consecutive hours at Dispatch radio (TG 5008). It is FCC policy for dispatchers to only work 6 hours at a single position, either phone or radio before rotating out. But this policy is at the discretion of the FCC Supervisor or Administrator.

It is very rare for anyone at FCC to work forced OT. (We call it "being mandatoried") This happens only when we go below minimum staffing of "5" people on the floor. For example, during the Cedar Fire we had numerous dispatcher just show up at the FCC and find work to do.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Thanks Tim. I knew you would pop up eventually.