Misc questions about RCS system.

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

SkipSanders wrote:The basic way these SmartZone systems work, all talkgroups MAY be on all zones.
Doesn't the talkgroup have to be "set up" to "roam" before it will light up on another zone?
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Mikey wrote:
SkipSanders wrote:The basic way these SmartZone systems work, all talkgroups MAY be on all zones.
Doesn't the talkgroup have to be "set up" to "roam" before it will light up on another zone?
That was the reason for this line in my post:

There are no doubt some caveats to this, depending on how the interzone control links work/are set, but overall, you expect any talkgroup MIGHT, sometimes, show on any zone.

:D
fotoguy

Post by fotoguy »

Well thats the ones I know for sure. But yeah skip is right any TG on Any zone is possible.
OSW

Post by OSW »

fotoguy wrote:Well thats the ones I know for sure. But yeah skip is right any TG on Any zone is possible.
A part of every wide-area SmartZone system with many different agencies is proper management of the TGs. For systems like the RCS, Orange Co., SCE, etc you MUST enable or disable TGs on a site by site basis. If you didn't you'll immediately overload the channels. Usage of the North Zone has to be heavily restrictive given it's great ability to be received farther than what's considered North County.

With the RCS the majority of the day to day TGs are slaved to site.

Also, there's only one Zone Controller in a SmartZone system. Even though sites are called "zones" it's not the same as what a zone is within the system's database. Zone is often a slang term for a simulcast subsystem. When you link multiple SmartZone systems you then have more than one zone controller. Each zone controller has its own independent TG and radio id database; it can get complicated from there on.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

fotoguy wrote:Well thats the ones I know for sure. But yeah skip is right any TG on Any zone is possible.
What OSW said is correct. There are many TG's restricted to certain zones.