Rancho San Diego help.

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
Mountain

Rancho San Diego help.

Post by Mountain »

Hey everyone, I will be spending much of my free time down in the Rancho SD area this summer and fall I need a little bit of help.

Having never spent more then a few hours in SD county except for at fires like Pines and Cedar, I'm completely unfamiliar with the area and locations. While I can program the radios just fine, I'm just not exactly sure who to program!

Can anyone tell me which LEA and FD handles the Rancho San Diego area? Is it part of El Cajon or is it unincorporated county land? I know MVU HQ is just up the street from the place I'll be staying at but are they my first in Engine Co? Who handles EMS transport, BLS and ALS? For the RCS system, which cell would cover this area?

Thank god for TomTom and TomTom traffic, that 150 mile drive is something else!

And thank you for the help, I know its asking a lot.
codethree

Post by codethree »

Rancho SD is an unincorporated portion of the county. LE is SDSO on either Lemon Grove or Imperial Beach dispatch. Fire is Heartland.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

You're first in Engine should be 22's or 23's from San Miguel and the transporting ALS will be from AMR. MVU usually assists on structure fires and sometimes MVA's. LE will be SDSO as Code 3 said. You will need to put in both Lemon Grove and Imperial Beach Disp because they are always patched. I believe it's day on day off one day they'll be on LGVD and the next it will be IMBD. Heartland for fire dispatch and MVU Local for CDF also put in the TG's for MVU. They usually dispatch on VHF and then switch to 800 for responses.
w6pix

Re: Rancho San Diego help.

Post by w6pix »

Mountain wrote: For the RCS system, which cell would cover this area?
RCS South
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Oops missed that part about which cell. LOL. I'm getting old.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. I think I have a better understanding of what and who I will need to listen to now, and it looks like I'll be buying a big case of ice cream an dropping it off at a station to say hi in the near future.

I'm not sure of the history of the area, but just from driving around a bit today, I can tell it's definetly on the edge of the wildland/urban interface and has seen some recent activity near the golf course I passed by.

It'll definetly be a change from Los Angeles!
fotoguy

Post by fotoguy »

Well you picked a good place to hang out for the summer.