bc246t programming

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
k6daf

bc246t programming

Post by k6daf »

Just received my new bc246t and with the pre-set freq it scans and then stops on a channel but all i hear is static and tones. It says it is one of the local agencies but it is just alternating hi/low tones and static. Now the other freq that are miles away comes in fine. Does this mean the radio hears a conversation but does not know the freqs for it? It shows
San Diego MOT
Carlsbad PD
or San Diego MOT
Escondido PD

I hear fine some like

San Diego City MOT
Central SD PD

San Diego MOT
ID: 6384

For the beginner it is very confusing understanding what is happening and no where to go for help hope this site will do that.

Thanks Doug
Steele

Post by Steele »

Hi Doug, the scanner you mentioned is an analog only model.
To hear the Police Department’s that are in your post, you would need a digital radio,
And the noise you are hearing is probably digital signals. But the 246T is still a really nice
radio, and yes it can be confusing, so if you can, try to get some kind of programming software,
or you can get it programmed by some one local,
I can recommend a guy if you like.
So do some home work and go to http://scandiego.com/ scroll down to “LISTINGS”
here you can see what systems are out there to Choose from.
I have 21 systems in my 246T like, SDPD-SDFD, North Comm.’s (Rancho Fire), Hartland Fire,
And I even have LA, Riverside, and Orange Co. etc…

Steele 8)