Massive Mobilehome Transport Accident

Posting and discussion of breaking news in San Diego. Visitors to this forum are welcome to post photos, videos and other items of interest regarding breaking news incidents in the area.
N6ATF

Massive Mobilehome Transport Accident

Post by N6ATF »

We were driving on 125-S at 94 between 3 and 4 pm today, and a big flatbed oversized trailer hauling a mobile-home lost its axle or something right in front of us. It appears there were no collisions, as people were staying back anyway, and I had a clear view of the mini-explosion and parts shooting out. The flatbed driver pulled over, got out, and started walking back to survey the damage. I saw he had a cellphone on a neck strap so I figured he would call.

The junk stayed in the #2 lane (out of 2 lanes) so hopefully the guy got flares or triangles out after calling 911. When we got off at Jamacha shortly afterward, we saw a sheriff getting onto the 125-N and a Road One heavy (doubtful it could have towed this mother) turning northbound onto Sweetwater Road.

That must have been one hell of a cleanup.
astrodanco

Re: Massive Mobilehome Transport Accident

Post by astrodanco »

N6ATF wrote:We were driving on 125-S at 94 between 3 and 4 pm today, and a big flatbed oversized trailer hauling a mobile-home lost its axle or something right in front of us. It appears there were no collisions, as people were staying back anyway, and I had a clear view of the mini-explosion and parts shooting out. The flatbed driver pulled over, got out, and started walking back to survey the damage. I saw he had a cellphone on a neck strap so I figured he would call.

The junk stayed in the #2 lane (out of 2 lanes) so hopefully the guy got flares or triangles out after calling 911. When we got off at Jamacha shortly afterward, we saw a sheriff getting onto the 125-N and a Road One heavy (doubtful it could have towed this mother) turning northbound onto Sweetwater Road.

That must have been one hell of a cleanup.
I was shortly behind you. I was right behind a CHP officer who ran a very short break on Southbound 125 , then pulled up beside the mobilhome. A man was phisically standing to the left of a mobile home on the Southbound 125 to Southbound 805 offramp. He was trying to do exactly who knows what with traffic all by himself there. He didn't appear to be effectively doing much of anything other than just standing there in the middle of the road. And he hadn't put out any flares or triangles that I could see. Fortunately traffic was driving past his left side uneventfully. I drove past on the left just as the CHP officer arrived on scene. I didn't see any parts in the lanes. Perhaps the driver had moments earlier somehow gotten it all off to the sides or the parts rolled to the sides before the CHP officer arrived. I obviously missed the earlier mini-explosion (and potential mine field if there was one).
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Uh, what Southbound 125 to Southbound 805 offramp?

dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

N6ATF wrote:Uh, what Southbound 125 to Southbound 805 offramp?

That would be the new shortcut to the westbound I-5!! :lol:
astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

N6ATF wrote:Uh, what Southbound 125 to Southbound 805 offramp?
Oops, I obviously got that wrong! It was on a transition ramp though. Fortunately my GPSR was turned on at the time. Consulting the track log, I think it was either as the Southbound 125 crosses the 94 at or near N32 44.644 W117 01.076 on 08/26/2006 at 3:41:57 PM going 40 mph or on the Westbound 54 to Southboound 805 transition ramp at or near N32 39.324 W117 04.353 on 08/26/2006 at 3:49:14 PM going 55 mph. In the former case I was only going 40 mph at the time, so that sounds more like it. So am I talking about the same event that you are or a completely different event?
Last edited by astrodanco on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Nope, not even close. Like I said, we were driving on 125-S at 94.

Due to the axle or whatever loss, the flatbed trailer was visibly crippled in the rear, even if you didn't see the parts strewn across the #2 lane.
astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

N6ATF wrote:Nope, not even close. Like I said, we were driving on 125-S at 94.
Isn't that what I said immediately above? Please check the first set of coordinates. Thanks. Ah, you posted before I finished editing. Silly me.

BTW, I had just visited the vicinity of the radio site at N33:09:32.18 W116:35:55.95 (according to Google Earth, not my GPSR, they seem to be using slightly different datums) and was on my way to Soak City at the time. The Volcan fire sure did destroy a once beautiful area, but is still has plenty of beauty left. Next time I'll bring my camera and take pictures.
Last edited by astrodanco on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Yes, the former coordinates are about where it was. Maybe there was enough time for him to roll the parts off the road with a good samaritan. The axle or whatever was huge, and there was a small thing too, maybe a tire.