Rocket Launch tonight

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
w6pix

Rocket Launch tonight

Post by w6pix »

On a totally unrelated to scanner matter:

Tonight's Delta IV launch from Vandenberg AFB remains on schedule. Launch time = 20:14 PDT - almost exactly sunset for observers near Vandenberg. Barring any clouds, the best view of the powered phase of the launch will probably be southern Nevada, Arizona, southeastern California, and northwestern Mexico.

Look outside and see if you can see the comtrail.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

last time vandenberg had a dusk launch, the sky lit up with green comtrails. all our viewers called in asking if we'd been invaded.
TimOTee123

Post by TimOTee123 »

I saw nothing from western San Diego.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

saw it, much less dramatic than last time. you could see stage seperation, it was pretty cool.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Yes, I've seen better.. the sun was too far set. It was delayed about 30 minutes. Anyway, was nice to see.

I'll throw some pix up tommorow.
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

I saw the launch clearly from mission valley. Agreed, not as spectacular as previous ones. Last time there was a much more distinct trail which gave some nice colors as the sun was setting. My first gift to you, is the link to http://www.spacearchive.info they provide a mailing list that updates you on when the next launches will be, also has lots of information and pictures related to the launches. My next gift, www.spaceflightnow.com has up to the minute flight information. You can check this site the day of a launch to see what statuses are up to and after launch.
brandon
Site Admin

Post by brandon »

I didn't really see much from Riverside. Had lots of mid-level clouds out that direction. I did see some of the contrail as it was higher in the sky (look like bright white cirrus clouds).

Last September was the real good launch of the Minotaur rocket. Here is a pic I took of it last year

Anyone know when the next evening launch is? Hopefully the WX will be better next time.
jkphotog1

Post by jkphotog1 »

Here is video I shot of the launch.

http://www.scandiego.com/host/DeltaIVMovie.wmv

Here ts a shot of the September 2005 Mimotaur launch contrail.

w6pix

Post by w6pix »

That's a really nice shot Brandon.

I took several also. I did 'em all wide angle.

The last one has the seperation burn.

w6pix

Post by w6pix »

JKPHOTOG1 uploaded his video of the rocket launch for anyone that missed it.

Since the EDIT of his previous post with the picture may not flag as new, I added a new reply here.

http://www.scandiego.com/forumpicturesh ... VMovie.wmv

Click on it to play or right click and SAVEAS if you don't have a real good fast connection.

11 megs.

Thanks Joe!