Atlas

This forum is for discussions about scanning military radio communications on HF, VHF/UHF and beyond. You will also find logs and other real-time flight tracking information.
DougP

Atlas

Post by DougP »

I often listen to Miramar Approach and hear numerous references to a reporting waypoint called Atlas. Does anyone know what this corresponds to? Research shows that in the mountains east of the field there may be visible remnants of a facility used for testing Atlas missiles many years ago. Could this be “ATLAS”?
electronicnoz

Re: Atlas

Post by electronicnoz »

If you look at the FAA chart L-4 Low Instrument map, you'll see a TACAN symbol right at the field on frequency 109.600, This is their navigation point direct to the airport. I know the chart says "MIRAMAR" but in all my years monitoring, this is what the pilots and Controllers are calling ATLAS and the pilots overhead military break point to enter into the traffic pattern,

-Greg :) Monitoring ZLA & SoCAL from KSAN! :)
Attachments
KNKX ATLAS.JPG
KNKX ATLAS.JPG (65.45 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
mike

Post by mike »

Atlas is callsign for HMLAT-303 part of MAG-39 of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

Aircraft
AH-1Z Viper
UH-1Y Venom
DougP

Post by DougP »

From what I've been told, most air bases have visually-referenced "entry points" that incoming aircraft overfly to put them in a position to line up for landing. Looking at flight tracks of some planes landing at Miramar, I see they are often vectored by Approach to a spot over the mountains east of the field that put them on a straight-in for landing on 24 L/R. From there, they contact tower to request a straight in or carrier break. In that location, there are visible remnants of an Atlas missile test facility. So I am 95% convinced that that is ATLAS.

It does not make sense to put them overhead for an initial fix, especially because, GA planes cleared to use the Miramar Class Bravo transition are directed overhead the field to transit the area. Anyway, my belief is that ATLAS is a point in the mountains east of the field and south of Scripps Ranch.