New unit marking

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the San Diego Police Department. Post here for topics about general SDPD scanning, information and terminology.
dangitdoug

New unit marking

Post by dangitdoug »

I saw an SDPD marked unit with a large 2 on the back right side of the trunk, next to the tail light. Any ideas as to what this additional decal is for?

Doug K
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

They should have a 4 digit vehicle id number, and the extra number (it used to be next to the vehicle #) was to indicate that the vehicle is used for 1st and 3rd watch, or 2nd & extra watch. It might also indicate the division the vehicle is assigned to, with 2 being Northeastern. Maybe someone else knows for sure :)
nobody33

Post by nobody33 »

The 2 on the right side is so officers know they can only use it for second watch. To keep the new cars from being beat down real quick the garage puts the two on certain cars so they only run one shift a day.

The big 2's are northeast cars. They must have got a shipment larger than the rest of the divisions. They look really funny.
mike

Post by mike »

Do you have any photo's?
dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

nobody33 wrote:The 2 on the right side is so officers know they can only use it for second watch. To keep the new cars from being beat down real quick the garage puts the two on certain cars so they only run one shift a day.

The big 2's are northeast cars. They must have got a shipment larger than the rest of the divisions. They look really funny.
That makes sense. The size and location are why I noticed it. We get so used to each departments set-ups that we can see something like that out of the ordinary. I still remember seeing an Ford Taurus in SDPD markings in the early 90's. From what I remember it only lasted about 2-3 months. Definitely was not well received by patrol officers!

And no I don't have pictures. I don't normally try to take pics from a moving car at 70 mph. I am busy enough trying to watch traffic, adjust my scanner, listen to Michael Savage and text my friends when driving home. Taking pictures might distract me from safe driving habits!
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

Is your dash cam not working :lol:
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

He's right about keeping the miles down. I spoke to a friend today... He said that was the reason for the big "2" for 2nd watch.. 1st and 3rd use the older cars.. The problem was that with the car running all three shifts (cause EVERYONE wants a new car when they go out) the warranty was getting expired due to mileage REAL quick, like 6 months...