Base Frequencies and offset questions

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
sgt_jarhead

Base Frequencies and offset questions

Post by sgt_jarhead »

I am trying to load the SD county sheriff / fire info into my Pro-97.

I have the ferquency lists and talkgroup ID's entered. I can get a transmission, but it is unclear. I am pretty sure that I do not have the offset entered correctly. Or maybe the base frequency.

I am using the Win97 program to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

All my previous experiance has been w/ the EDACS system and has worked just fine. Thank you for your time.
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Most likely, you didn't set it as a 'splinter' system, which is required for all San Diego 800 MHz systems.
sgt_jarhead

Post by sgt_jarhead »

It is set as a splinter sytstem.

I am in North county (Fallbrook). I keep getting hits from the "Campo" set of freq's, but the transmission is garbled. What is the base freq for the system?

I have the offset as 125 and the step as 25.000

Also I have the North Zone, South Zone, East Zone, and all the other "little Zones" all in the same bank. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for any help.
Brian

Post by Brian »

lets take a step backwards first...

You know Pro-97 doesn't pick up digital(garbled) audio.
Just wanted to make it clear since you talked about "SD Sheriff" in the first post on this thread.
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Also, you shouldn't be setting a custom base, offset, and step. The scanner already has those preset for 800 MHz systems, you only need (or should) to set those for systems on other bands.
sgt_jarhead

Post by sgt_jarhead »

Brian wrote:lets take a step backwards first...

You know Pro-97 doesn't pick up digital(garbled) audio.
Just wanted to make it clear since you talked about "SD Sheriff" in the first post on this thread.
I am new to scanners in general. Are you saying that the Sheriff office is using digital?

The documentation for the scanner says that it picks up digital and analog signals.

However, garbled is a great word for what I am hearing......
sgt_jarhead

Post by sgt_jarhead »

OK, now I see it is an analog only scanner for the trunked systems.
So....... SD Sheriff is a digital trunk system?

The main reason I got the scanner is so that I could pick up the Riverside Sheriff traffic, and that works fine, but I wanted to hear the SD stuff as well.
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

The San Diego County RCS has analog voice for almost all fire traffic, but digital (P25) voice for almost all law enforcement traffic.
Brian

Post by Brian »

another tip!

For the Pro-97 Anything with "A" mode can be heard on your Pro-97 scanner.

Anything with a "D" mode is digital and needs a digital scanner to be heard.

RCS - Public Safety County System.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

And if you are still looking for software. Don Star makes the best software for the Pro-97 scanner.

http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win97/default.asp
dangitdoug

Not splinter

Post by dangitdoug »

RCS (Sheriff's, San Diego County) is not a splinter system and is combination of digital and analog.

TRS (SDPD, San Diego City) is a splinter system and is analog only.