Newbie question - inexpensive scanner for North San Diego

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
LokalYokal

Newbie question - inexpensive scanner for North San Diego

Post by LokalYokal »

Hi,

I'm new to scanners and am not clear on some of the terms used, so please excuse my basic questions.

I'm looking for a very, very inexpensive scanner for use at home (either a base or a hand-held with a power adapter) to listen to Escondido-area fire and police.

So here's some of my questions:

1) From what I've read on ScanDiego.com, I will need a digital, trunking scanner. Is this correct?

2) What scanner would you recommend? Keep in mind that I'm on a very limited budget and I don't need any bells and whistles....just something that works. Used is best for me since I'd probably save a bunch.

3) I've seen digital trunking, dual trunking, and triple trunking. What does this mean and what does it have to do with elephants? :wink:

Thanks!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Escondido Police, Escondido Park Rangers/public works Needs a digital scanner.

Escondido Fire is mostly Analog so any old scanner will work.
Escondido has a digital TAC talkgroup.

Uniden Scanners (396 or 996)($520) will last over 6years or maybe longer. I think this is the best scanner to get for the money.

RadioShack 96 or 2096 might only last about 5 years (due to rebanding in 800mhz range) *note every so often those two goes on sale for $349(I think)

All North County Fire dept will work with the Radio Shack Pro97 ($149)
(San Marcos,Vista,Oceanside,Carlsbad,Rancho Santa Fe,Encinitas,SolanaBeach,Elfin Forest,- fire dept is dispatch by 'Northcom' dispatch center.)
to listen to the dispatch and tacs and commands. but wont listen to police dispatch.

Look at this page (Digital Talkgroups is over 30000 range)
any talkgroups under 29999 range is Analog talkgroups)
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

There is many website to get the uniden 396 & 996.
www.usascan.com , www.universal-radio.com , www.scannermaster.com , www.bearcat1.com
Last edited by Brian on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkphotog1

Budget Scanners

Post by jkphotog1 »

Since you are on a budget, you may want to consider an 800 Megahertz analogue trunking scanner to begin with. You won't receive the north county law enforcement talkgroups, but many of the larger incidents are broadcast on mutual aid talkgroups , and the 800 MHZ analogue will receive those. In addition you will hear most all fire traffic, CHP North and CHP San Diego, SDPD, CDF, news media, military police and a host of other traffic. Then you can see if you enjoy the hobby, and as the funds become available, purchase a digital scanner and dedicate the older unit to fire coms. Currently Radio Shack has the Pro-97 on sale for $150.00. Or choose a Uniden 246 handheld for about $220.00 or a Uniden BC-15 mobile for about the same price. On Craig's List I have seen several 800 MHZ scanners from $30.00-$80.00. Look for these units that are 800 trunking analouge units that are capable of scanning multiple systems and UHF and VHF at the same time.

Here are some to consider that you may be able to acquire on a budget

Radio Shack Pro-94

Radio Shack Pro-95

Radio Shack Pro-97

Uniden/Bearcat 245

Uniden/Bearcat 246

Uniden/Bearcat 330
LokalYokal

Options

Post by LokalYokal »

Thanks for the tips. Seeing the cost of the digital scanners was a bit disheartening. I was hoping to spend less than $100 :? and I was hoping to get Escondido Police. Maybe I'll see if I can get a super cheap analog one on CraigsList and see how much police-related traffic I can hear, but it sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath. :-/
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Well, you want current gear, it costs. No avoiding that.

That doesn't mean you can't listen, though. There are internet streaming audio sources for San Diego County North RCS. One seems to be down, right now, but the other is still up.

Go Here and select the feed from the dropdown menu on the left that says CA-San Diego No. RCS.

Not sure what all is being covered by that one, but it's a start.

The other one, currently seems to be broken, is here

Oh, and yes, Oh Ancient Biker Kat, I was listening to your little chat about 'all those folks from the past'. Just not allowed to comment. :)
LokalYokal

Post by LokalYokal »

Thanks Skip, I appreciate it. An inexpensive way to start listening. Not quite Escondido but perhaps the ScanDiego.net feed will get the Escondido area soon?

Thanks again!
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Wow, didn't know that one existed. Thanks.

San Diego County RCS - North
mms://kg6fwo.no-ip.org:8081
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

It appears to be fire only, but still something. There's one at the site for RCS south fire, and some assorted CDF stuff as well.

The one that's down normally carries all groups on North RCS.

Oh, if it hasn't been clear, Escondido City police are on the County RCS north system, they no longer (as far as I know) operate a seperate system of their own, so County RCS (North) is what you need to be able to hear, with digital recieve if you want law enforcement.
Control

Post by Control »

[quote="SkipSanders"]
It appears to be fire only, but still something.
[/quote]

ONE of these days, when the scanner (and maybe computer) get here, there will be an SO/PD RCS north feed available.
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Scan San Diego has his North RCS scanner running again, though the ID groups display is still messed up. (He has 'status bit' on, can't seem to figure out how to turn it OFF)

Scan San Diego

You should be able to listen to Escondido and SDSO here, now. Of course, it's monitoring ALL groups, so it's pretty constantly busy.