Looking for local stringer freqs.

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
dangitdoug

Looking for local stringer freqs.

Post by dangitdoug »

:?:
I have one at this time. Looking for others in the county. I have not been able to afford a digital scanner yet and these guys seem to be on top of things. Good to listen to when SDPD is slow. I work nights, so anything of interest to listen to is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Doug K
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

I'd tell you... but then I'd have to, ya know... and then Control would have to beam a death ray at me from MAFIASAT-1.
dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

N6ATF wrote:I'd tell you... but then I'd have to, ya know... and then Control would have to beam a death ray at me from MAFIASAT-1.
I'll trade you the freqs for enough aluminum foil to protect you from the death rays.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

Can someone please explain what a stringer frequency is? From the way you guys are talkin bout them, they sound neat!
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

I've heard that Death Ray penetrates anything even aluminum foil :lol:
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Take a look around for '318' 's sig, wherein you'll discover the magic answer you want. Well, part of it.

Oh, heck...

The local stringer group (represented heavily but skillfully by your moderators/site owners here) uses 462.650 (R) for most of their stuff.

On most GMRS/FRS HT's, that would be channel '19'.

They have other channels, but those are less well known, and thus Death To Post.

Don't bother to do a CTCSS search on the repeater with the typical GMRS/FRS handi-talkies, they use a 'not one of the common 38' tone. Yay for the TH-F6A CTCSS search mode. Not gonna tell.

Quite an active and interesting channel and group, most active late nights, when the regular news-fakers are all home in bed and stringers are most needed/able to get the video before them.

I'd make the occasional comment on air at them, if I had a suitable GMRS HT and license, on simplex, but I don't. Lucky, eh? Me sitting here at random times listening to the scanner and them. I have an old Radio Shack base GMRS/FRS unit sitting on their channel for monitoring purposes.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Oh my, breaker breaker 19?
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Heh. Along with all the fire traffic at today's massive condo contruction fire in Escondido, I got the chance to catch a new (to me, I mean) local stringer frequency, the 'Green' freq, along with its CTCSS.

Don't forget the chance of rarely heard 'other' stuff going hot during major events, sometimes it's the only chance you'll have to catch these rarely used channels.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Was it used like D2 (just a short conversation) or did everybody at scene use it like a tac during it?