PRO-92 Trunk Programming

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
sandiegojoe

PRO-92 Trunk Programming

Post by sandiegojoe »

I’m looking for input from anyone familiar with PRO-92 trunk programming.
I’ve tried several times to program the San Diego City trunk system into my PRO-92 with only partial success. The problem is that the scanner will not “scan” the trunked system.
I can load all the 800 frequencies without the trunk system type (MO) attached, and it will scan all of the frequencies just like my BC200XLT.
When I add the Motorola system type (MO) to the channel, the scanning feature ignores that channel. If I add the type to all the channels, like the instruction say, the scanning ignores all of them like they are locked-out. On manual I can hear the trunked channel and see the talk groups displayed, but only the ones on that frequency. I can manually scroll through all of the channels, but it won’t "scan" from channel to channel.
I’ve initialized the scanner and started over several times. I’ve set the bank to Motorola (MO) and set the bank to “OPEN”, but still no scanning.
The scanner seems to work just fine, so I’m sure it’s something that I’m doing wrong.
Thanks,
Joe
brandon
Site Admin

Bad news

Post by brandon »

I think the PRO-92 will not work on San Diego's system...I know mine does not. It's because that model cannot track splinter systems, so it's pretty much useless for SDPD/SDFD.

It does work on the RCS South at least. And if your in range of Riverside and Orange County, it will track them.

Still for $5.00 you got one hell of a deal. I paid full price for mine :shock:
I bought it in Utah and had no idea it would not work in San Diego. Oh well, it's still a good scanner especially for decoding PL tones.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Joe had the same problem as Brandon. The 92 that I have is the b version. From what I've heard the original 92 which of course is the a version does work with the San Diego system.
dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

Rescue Pooh wrote:Joe had the same problem as Brandon. The 92 that I have is the b version. From what I've heard the original 92 which of course is the a version does work with the San Diego system.
This is correct. I had the original version of the 92 and it will not track the City system.

Doug K
sandiegojoe

Post by sandiegojoe »

I did a lot of reading and I think I got it now...I had read somewhere that I was supposed to lock out the control channel. I unlocked it and it seems to be scanning/trunking now with the RCS South.
I'll try re-programming the SD City later and see if that was it.
Joe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The original Pro 92 that uses the sub-audible tone format of trunking should trunk track the City system (along with RCS North and other splinter systems like a lot of the RCS Fill-In zones and whatnot). The newer Pro 92s (As and Bs) that use control channel trunking WON'T work with the splinter systems because they look at the wrong frequencies :)
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

sandiegojoe wrote:I did a lot of reading and I think I got it now...I had read somewhere that I was supposed to lock out the control channel. I unlocked it and it seems to be scanning/trunking now with the RCS South.
I'll try re-programming the SD City later and see if that was it.
Joe
I think I know what you saw. Locking out the control channel was back in the day when there were no trunk track scanners. People just put all of the system freqs in a bank and scanned it. You had to lock out the control channel so you wouldn't get locked onto the "buzz-saw" noise. Some systems rotate the control channels, so you had to remember to lock in and out what changed. It worked, but not perfect, conversations were broken up as the controller moved around the frequency list. Perhaps that is what you saw refering to lockout the CC.
sandiegojoe

Post by sandiegojoe »

Unlocking the control channel allowed the trunk scanning to work on the RCS but I still get a lot of that digital buzzing so it's basically useless.
I realize now that it scans OK on the SD City, but never stops on a channel because it can't detect the sub-audio control, also useless.
I guess in the San Diego area the PRO-92 is just a paper weight with batteries. This is exactly why I usually avoid buying anything from Radio Shack.
I can do all the same things with my 50 cent BC200XLT. Maybe I'll lay down some cash and go digital.
Take care,
Joe
dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

There is still alot of stuff on RCS analog to listen to with the 92. You need to program the TGIDs you want to hear and set the bank to Closed mode.

Then it will only monitor the TGIDs you have programmed. If you are hearing the buzz from the digital TGIDs, then you are listening in OPen mode.

I still used mine specifically for fire and medics on the RCS system.

Doug K
Brian

Post by Brian »

Note to what doug said.

Any talkgroups under 30,000 is analog ( 00000 - 30000 ).
All digital talkgroups are over 30000 on the RCS county system.
Last edited by Brian on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.