NACs and 396T Scanning

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
jjwool

NACs and 396T Scanning

Post by jjwool »

I've been reading a little about NACs and am a little confused and can't find anything on the forums. Will it be necessary to have a NAC capable scanner to listen to federal communications, like the new Uniden that is coming out or is out? Or are NACs just something that makes listening to them easier?

From what I understand, each agency has at least one

I'm not looking for a lengthy explanation, but enough so I have a better understanding of NACs and there use and then I will read more.

Tks in advance for any replies.

Just realized I didn't look on the San Diego Area Federal Scanning Forum. I'm lookking at that, but if anyone would like to give a brief explanation, I'd still appreciate it.

Tks again
w6kru

Re: NACs and 396T Scanning

Post by w6kru »

NACs are to digital systems like PLs/CTCSSs are to conventional. The best use I see for NACs is to identify agencies using a conventional P25 system. You could search the federal freqs with NAC search. If you know the NAC it would be an additional clue to who is using the freq. I would like to have a 396XT for that but I'm not sure I'll run out and get one just for that feature. There are probably more things NACs can be used for that I haven't thought of. Filtering trunks with NACs like we do with conventional freqs using tones, etc.
Brian

Re: NACs and 396T Scanning

Post by Brian »

Since w6kru covered the conventional part.

Another use could be when a scanner user is searching the band. and run across a P25 signal and catch the NAC tone. Then you know what trunked system it's coming from by that NAC. Since each trunked system will have a different NAC for it. (It only works if that trunked system has P25 audio). Since Southern California will have lots of Public Safety trunked system with P25 8)

Just like NexEdge Digital(NXDN) system. It uses 'RAN' (Radio Access Number) codes.