XL1 - Bomb Squad

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
SDnative

XL1 - Bomb Squad

Post by SDnative »

Does anyone know who the red Bomb Squad XL1 rig belongs to? It was sent to where I work yesterday, and all I could see of it were those markings, not any agency. The only occupant that got out was wearing a military type flight suit. I am up in the Miramar area, so I am not sure whether it came from the base or not.
mike

Post by mike »

Do you have a picture?
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

No picture. It was only on scene for long enough to turn around and leave. It looks like the SDFD "Heavy Rescue" rig I have seen. It did not have any blue lights that I could see, which leads me to think it is also a FD rig. But I did not notice anything like "San Diego Fire/Rescue" on it.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

It's San Diego Fire's bomb rig.

Here is a pic I shot at the courthouse bombing in May

w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I just noticed you put XL-1.. Another new rig perhaps?

Was it marked similar with the white stripe ?
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

There were other vehicles in the way, and my old memory was not sure what the 2nd character was. That picture looks like the same rig.
Is it stationed at 28 or elsewhere?
Thanks.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

xray1 is downtown, station 1 i believe.
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

The unit's designator is XR1...a shot of it at the shops when first delivered.

What I was told, the specs for this rig were done up then the department lost the funding. LAPD used those specs for their rig, then the bomb squad guys went back and updated their specs when the funding was again received.
Last edited by RescueKujo on Thu May 07, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.